India could face a tax landmine with authorities beginning to question input tax credit claimed by companies in lieu of Goods and Services Tax (GST) paid by their vendors. The authorities have already started sending notices to businesses, confirming fears that scrutiny will increase in the new financial year as the government looks to plug leakages. While paying tax on any output, you can diminish the tax you have already paid on inputs and pay the balance amount referring to input tax credit (ITC). Everyone has to pay taxes on the purchase of a product / service from a registered … Read more
E-way bill refers to an electronic way bill for movement of goods to be generated on the e-way bill portal. While an e-way bill is generated, a unique e-way bill number is allocated and is available to the supplier, recipient, and the transporter. An e-way bill will be issued when there is a movement of goods in a vehicle of value for more than INR 50,000. However, in certain states the limit has been extended as decided by the state government:
- In relation to a ‘supply’
- For reasons other than ‘supply’
- Due to inward ‘supply’ from an unregistered person.
Further, … Read more
Composition scheme is an alternative, simple & hassle free compliance scheme for small taxpayers with minimal procedures. Under this scheme, a taxpayer would be required to pay tax on the turnover based on prescribed percentage as the tax rate is comparatively low than those prescribed for normal taxpayers. The threshold limit of composition scheme extended from INR 1 crore to INR 1.5 crore which shall also include 10% provision of normal taxpayer annual turnover within the composition scheme if in case the given 10% is provided as the service. The illuminating feature of this scheme is that the business or … Read more
Within last six months, the GST portal keeps rolling out new updates to help taxpayers file their returns more smoothly and effectively. Taxpayers need to be up-to-dated in order to avoid missing out on vital compliances, which in turn would prevent notices being issued to them. Below is the gist of updates rolled out for the taxpayers:
Contrasting liability declared and input tax credit claimed
A new functionality is released by the portal which will help tax filers comparing their GSTR-3B tax liabilities with the GSTR-1s that have been filed before. Along with this, users can also make comparison of … Read more
Goods and services Tax (GST) is a broad based, comprehensive tax to be levied on goods and services aiming at a simple and transparent tax structure to positively incentivize trade and industry. Under GST, the term “assessment” means determination of tax liability under this Act i.e. to figure out how much tax is to be paid actually, a GST assessment is organized. Various forms of assessments under GST include:
- Provisional assessment
- Scrutiny assessment
- Best judgement assessment
- Assessment of unregistered persons
- Summary assessment
Self-assessment (Sec 59)
A taxable person undergoes his self-assessment where all GST filings are based on his … Read more
Goods and services tax (“GST”) is an indirect tax for the entire country levied on the supply of goods and services. GST is India’s single unified tax which reflects an overall shift from taxing goods and services at the point of supply to where they’re consumed. India is also looking to boost tax revenue by moving the existing sales taxes to a new harmonised GST system. GST was touted as biggest taxation reform since independence.
The recent 32nd GST council meet announced new registration criteria for businesses, doubling the sales threshold for GST registration to INR 40 Lakh, allowance … Read more
Since its advent, GST has been a subject of discussion in almost all social or political meetings. With the purpose of levying a single tax in entire nation, GST was introduced. In this fast pacing and dynamic world alterations in the already established rules of GST were equally important for uniform tax compliance throughout the country.
For complimenting GST era, GST Amendment Act, 2018 was introduced by Government of India in August, 2018. Amendments instituted via this Amendment Act were notified to be effective on and after February, 2019. In addition to this, on the recommendations of GST Council in … Read more
Since the introduction of Goods and Services Tax (GST), early-day jitters have given way to general acceptance that this may not be the most perfect single tax system, but with each passing day the alterations and modifications introduced in GST regime has made it feasible to be accepted with open arms by the people. However, understanding the diversified provisions inculcated in this Act can be challenging for some. Two such provisions are explained in detail as follows:
Place of Supply (PoS)
A comprehensive, destination based tax, GST was introduced as an indirect tax on the supply of goods or services … Read more
Goods and Services Tax (GST) has proved to have its own pros and cons. Since its introduction it has left ambiguity in the minds of people as to how one should file the returns, what transactions need to be recorded, what all comes under the purview of GST, how much GST rate needs to be charged on what products and who all are required to get their financials audited, etc.
To obliterate uncertainty regarding GST audit, the following procedure should be followed:
- Filing of annual return: The annual return is an aggregation operation whereas the audit is reconciliation between
What is GST Audit?
Audit means the critical examination of returns, records and other documents maintained and furnished by the registered person under CGST Act or the rules made thereunder or under any other law for the time being in force. It is also executed to verify the authenticity of turnover declared, refund claimed, taxes paid, and input tax credit availed, and to affirm compliance with the provisions of this Act or the rules made thereunder.
What are the rules of compliance for GST Audit?
GST audit is requisite for registered taxpayers with an aggregate annual turnover exceeding INR 2 … Read more
To determine the residential status of foreign companies, the Finance Act 2015 introduced the concept of place of effective management (POEM). By definition in Indian Tax Laws “Place of effective management” means a place where key management and commercial decisions that are necessary for the conduct of the business of an entity as a whole are, in substance, made.
The Finance Act, 2016 has changed the effectivity of the said amendment to section 6(3) of the Act. These amended provisions came into effect from 1st April 2017 and are now applicable for Assessment Year 2017-18 and subsequent assessment years.… Read more
Section- 2(13) of the CGST Act defines Audit as the examination of records, returns and other documents maintained or furnished by the registered person under the Act / rules made there under or under any other law for the time being in force to verify the correctness of turnover declared, taxes paid, refund claimed and input tax credit availed, and to assess his compliance with the provisions of the GST Act or the rules made thereunder.
*No audit is required for businesses with turnover less than INR 2 crore.
Types of GST Audit
There are 3 types of GST audits:… Read more
The 29th GST Council meeting chaired by Union finance minister Piyush Goyal was held at New Delhi on the 4th August, 2018. The meeting was aimed to address the issues of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
Key decisions taken by council in the meeting
Incentivizing digital transactions
Federal indirect tax body the GST Council, keeping in mind the end goal of digitalization of the economy, enhancing tax compliance and elevating the collection of tax has decided to incentivize digital payments of tax. The council came up with plan to roll out a pilot project for refunding … Read more
GST return filing process
- Small taxpayers with less than INR 5 crores of turnover can opt to file GST return quarterly against earlier limit of INR 1.5 crores. Quarterly return filing will be similar to the monthly return. However, tax payment would still be monthly, through a challan. Only small taxpayers making B2C supply or making B2B and B2C supply can enroll for quarterly GST return filing. Small taxpayers involved in only B2B supply cannot file quarterly returns under this scheme.
- Two simplified returns have been designed- “Sugam” and “Sahaj”, where in the first one, report only B2C supplies and
The 25th GST Council Meeting was held at New Delhi on the 18th of January 2018. In addition to relaxation of GST rules and regulations, GST rates have also be reduced for various goods and services. Here are the outcomes of this meeting:
- GST council cut rates on 29 products and 53 services. These new rates will be implemented from 25th January 2018.
- Council members also discuss on E-way Bill. E-way bill system will go through a test from January 25 and will be implemented on a mandatory basis from Feb 1.
- No discussion on Petroleum & Real-estate
Updated schedule of CGST rates on goods, as on 15.11.2017 For ease of reference only
The CGST rates on certain goods have undergone changes since the introduction of GST. The rate changes are given effect through amending notifications issued from time to time. A need has been felt to publish a consolidated rate schedule in a single document for ease of reference. Accordingly, this document has been prepared indicating updated CGST rates as on 15.11.2017. This document is only for ease of reference and relevant notifications will only have legal authority.
UPDATED CGST RATES SCHEDULES FOR GOODS AS ON 15.11.2017… Read more
Midson Entrepreneur Network is a platform for entrepreneurs to collectively grow, learn and collaborate. Recently, a Diwali Special Meeting has been organized to bring together the trusted people and create Networking, Learning and Business Opportunities.
Ankit Jain, Director of AJSH & Co LLP, presented a talk on GST – Implementation Challenges & Remedies. The presentation covered the important aspects of the recent changes facilitated by GST council, GST on Services from Goods Transport Agency (GTA), GST on Job Work, Sale of Pre GST stock, GST on Exports, E-way Bill, Reverse Charge Mechanism, Increased Compliances and Challenges, Other Challenges, etc.… Read more
- Annual aggregate turnover for availing composition scheme increased to 1 Cr. (Special category states-75Lacs except J&K and UK)
- Composition scheme can be availed till 31.03.2018 by both- migrated and new tax payers.
- Persons providing exempt services but otherwise eligible for Composition Scheme can now avail the benefit.
- Relief from getting registered, if turnover less than 20 Lacs and dealer involved in inter-state taxable supplies.
- Quarterly returns (GSTR-1,2&3) from third quarter (Oct-Dec 2017) if turnover up to 1.5 Cr with quarterly payment of taxes from Quarter 4.
- GSTR-3B to be filed monthly till Dec 2017.
- Reverse Charge Mechanism on supply from
- In order to ease the compliance burden of SME Sectors, following amendments has been recommended:
- Composition Scheme will be available up to the turnover of Rs. 1 Crore. Tax Rate for Composition Scheme will remain same at present level.
- Person with a turnover up to 1.5 Crore will be required to furnish the quarterly return instead of monthly return. Tax will also be required to be paid on Quarterly basis. Switchover will take place from 1st October.
- Returns from July to September’ 2017 will still be required to be filed on monthly basis.
- Big Tax Payers filing monthly basis who
Goods and Service Tax is an ambitious tax regime applicable from 1st of July 2017 made a number of indirect taxes subsumed into it. The government has now revealed the due dates for the payment of GST. The GST payment due date for general taxpayers is 20th of October.
All the registered taxpayers are required to make the payment of their taxes on GST Portal latest by the 20th of this october for a particular tax period. Taxpayers registered under composition scheme will have to pay GST only once every quarter.
GST Payment Due Date
- GST Payment due date (normal